WELLNESS PROGRAM-ABOUT US
The Ellington Public Schools are committed to providing a school environment that promotes and protects children’s health, well-being, and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity. Therefore, it is the policy of the Ellington Public Schools that:
· The school district will engage students, parents, teachers, food service professionals, health professionals, and other interested community members in developing, implementing, monitoring, and reviewing the district wide nutrition and physical activity policies and regulations.
· All students in grades K-12 will have opportunities, support, and encouragement to be physically active on a regular basis.
· Food and beverages sold or served at school will meet the nutrition recommendations of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
· The school district will provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students in clean, safe and pleasant settings.
· To the maximum extent practicable, all schools in the Ellington district will participate in available federal school meal programs.
· Schools will provide nutrition education and physical education to foster lifelong habits of healthy eating and physical activity, and will establish linkages between health education and school meal programs, and with related community services.
References: Federal Law:
Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004,
Pub. L. 108-265, §204
Adopted by Ellington Public Schools Board of Education:
June 14, 2006 Policy: 6142.0509